This post is dedicated to those reading who want to learn a little something about the girl behind the posts (aka the guyyyyyyy). So lets get it!
1. My full name is Raven Yvonne Redd. Yvonne is my mom’s first name so I’m lowkey a junior. My first name was originally supposed to me Meagan. According to my mom, right before I was born she was in the hair salon and heard the name Raven. Fast forward to January 15th and that’s what she ended up naming me. I have a million nick names: ovo, rav, ray, ray-ray, ravey, rave, larova, larav, rova, humps (that’s only my brothers though lol), ratchet ray ray; mostly ravey though. I don’t think I look like a Meagan. I’ve recently come to the realization that people call me OVO more than my actual name.
2. I’m 21 years old. My birthday, as mentioned previously is January 15th, 1994. I’m a Capricorn. Shoutout all the Caps. I would say I’m pretty true to my sign. I love when I meet new people and they can instantly tell I’m a Capricorn.
3. I try to go about life with the basic concept that what goes around comes right back around. While sometimes I fail to practice it, I’m a form believer in the idea that type of energy you put out in the world makes it’s way right back to you. Everyday it’s a constant practice to exercise good karma.
4. I’m a weirdo. I think we’re in a generation where it’s socially acceptable to be weird. Like.. people go out of their way to be weird. To be different. To stand out because being unusually different is what I think a lot of people strive to be. I always say I’m weird just because I’m an awkward girl. Around people I’m awkward. My movements are awkward. I just kind of ride my own wave and do things as I please. On the other hand, I always wonder if people view me to be as awkward as I view myself. We’re alllllll self conscious, I’m just the first to admit it. *kanye voice*
5. I’m fully aware how obnoxious my voice/laugh is. I’ve heard a million and one times, “you sound like a white girl!” and “you talk like such a valley girl.” People alwaaaaaaays make fun of my voice. Yes, people I do realize how I sound.. what do you expect after attending to private school for 7+ years. Can I live?
6. My ultimate dream in life is to work for one of the following: Cosmopolitan, XXL, Complex, or Vibe magazine as an writer/journalist/editor. Literally the fucking dream. All in due time though. I be tryin’. I’m currently a contributing writer for a NYC-based centric media company, Viewing.NYC! Check out my articles!
7. I’m completely obsessed with 90’s R&B. I start every single morning with Aaliyah Pandora (although lately I’ve bee cheating on that station with the Destiny’s Child one.) I LOVE SWV, 90’s Brandy and Monica, Jagged Edge, Aaliyah, The Fugees, TLC, Dru Hill, Xscape, MJB, 112, Donnell Jones, Erykah Badu, D’Angelo, 90’s Usher, Ginuwine, and En Vogue. I can keep going for days but Lauryn Hill is the QUEEN. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is my favorite album of all time. No arguments. I Wanna Be Down by Brandy is definitely one of my top three favorites from 90’s. (original AND remix)
8. I’m a very aggressive person. I’ve been told I’m mean, I personally don’t agree.. I just don’t take people’s shit and I think that’s a beneficial quality to posses. I’ve been told, “no one likes a bitch, Raven.” I’d rather be viewed as a bitch than passive & weak-minded. That way, no one will ever feel like they can walk all over you. You have a mouth, use it. Whether it gets me in trouble or not, I will always do as I please.. in every situation. I don’t have no apologies tattooed on me for nothing.
9. On the other hand, I’m a very passionate person and I love hard and unconditionally. I don’t think I’ve ever been “in love.” People argue whether there’s a difference between loving someone and being in love. There is definitely a quality that separates the two. While I’ve loved someone strongly before, I don’t think I’ve experienced the beauty of being IN love with someone. All in due time. Or, maybe not. I’ve come to the realization that I’ll likely be single forever. I seriously have this whole theory.
10. I’ve been writing since I was little. I would write stories and poems and would only share maybe 40% of the material I actually wrote. Sharing with other people what I’m passionate about is insanely rewarding for me. I haven’t been able to stay off of this blog since I created it. I may not be the best at it, but there’s nothing else I’d rather be doing. I also never really felt like I was good at anything, but this is the one thing in life I thoroughly enjoy doing. You know how dope it is when you think you’ve found what it is you were created to do? I feel like life is just a constant journey of finding yourself and creating your art. Once you’ve created that art, it’s your job to share it with those around you. Constantly growing / creating / evolving.